commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenVMS support for Commons Exec...
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:31:13 GMT
On 19/04/2010, Tim Sneddon <tim.sneddon@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am currently in the process of porting Maven (and all the
>  bit and pieces it drags in) to OpenVMS.  One of the things it
>  drags in is Commons Exec.  So I have done a bit of work to
>  get it running properly (I found the existing support for VMS
>  to be lacking) and now I would like to hopefully have this go
>  back into the source pool.
>
>  So, I was wondering how I go about getting this stuff passed
>  back into the source pool.  The stuff I read mentioned
>  submitting a patch via JIRA.  Is that all I have to do?  Is
>  there a contribution agreement I need to fill out?

JIRA is normally sufficient for a patch.

For larger contributions, then a CLA may be required.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

>  Also, are there many other OpenVMS users out there?

I used to use OpenVMS in my day job (and had used it since VMS 5.x on
VAX) but I've not used it for a couple of years.

>  Is there a current maintainer for OpenVMS support?

I did a bit of work on the OpenVMS parts of Exec and fixed a few
problems a while back.

However I did not fix all the problems; at the time there seemed to be
some limitations in the VMS JVM implementation that made it very
difficult to get Exec working as well on VMS as it does elsewhere,
particularly in regard to process termination.

I'd be very happy to assist on this in any way I can.