commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rafał Krupiński <r.krupin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IO] Progress Monitor
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:02:33 GMT
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Gary Gregory
<GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
[..]
> When I am copying a directory containing possibly hundreds of files, I do want to know
how far along I am. Recall that File
>objects describe both files and directories.

Good point.

> The progress monitor itself can decide if the operation is fast enough to not bother
with providing actual progress feedback. For example, Eclipse does not bring up the progress
dialog if an operation is fast enough. This is a subtlety left to progress monitor implementations
though.

Yes, but in Eclipse the decision is based on a timer and it doesn't
need support from a ProgressMonitor interface or the monitored
service.

What level of details would copy(File,File) provide when copying a
deep directory structure? What performance penalty would it cause.
What about users who don't need progress monitoring?

--
Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Rafal Krupinski