commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Non-standard maven source and test directories
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2010 17:00:19 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> I think tomcat may still build repackaged versions of dbcp and pool
>> classes from source and this change might break their builds.  So -1
>> for now for changing those.
>
> As much as I am for cross-project collaboration this reason for a "-1"
> takes it a step too far IMO. If they really want to keep using the
> repackaged versions (why?)

Mark or someone else can confirm, but I think the repackaging is to
avoid conflicts between the bundled versions and user-supplied
replacements.

 they can probably adjust their build within
> minutes to work with a new project layout.

But why force that?  I see know value to this change from a [pool]
or [dbcp] perspective.  What exactly do we gain from it?  I know
that tomcat is not the only user who builds classes from these
sources from source.  Why force this change on everyone who does
that?  If I am missing some benefit other than adhering to a
(changed) maven standard, I would like to know what that is.

Phil