commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "SCXML/GSoC2010EclipsePluginProposal" by guixl
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:52:46 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "SCXML/GSoC2010EclipsePluginProposal" page has been changed by guixl.
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/SCXML/GSoC2010EclipsePluginProposal?action=diff&rev1=3&rev2=4

  [[http://www.w3.org/TR/scxml/|State Chart XML]] is very useful to handler complex status
transfer logic. [[http://commons.apache.org/scxml/|Commons SCXML]] is an implementation aimed
at creating and maintaining a Java SCXML engine capable of executing a state machine defined
using a SCXML document, while abstracting out the environment interfaces. Now,more and more
developers use it to help handler complex program logic,but edit a State Chart XML is so boring
and mistakable.If a SCXML file is really so huge and complex,it will become too difficult
to maintain and refactor or to test its logic validity.For example,if a SCXML flow has more
than 20 States,it is possible to form an dead loop due to developer's glitch. In fact, the
archives of the Apache Commons SCXML user mailing list will show many queries asking for it
over the years.Obviously, [[http://www.eclipse.org/|Eclipse]] is the most power and popular
Integration Develop Environment for developers, if it supplies an editor or even debuger for
State Chart XML, isn't it cool ?

+ In fact, an open-source Eclipse-based plugin that uses visual state chart editors and generates
SCXML documents is much needed -- the archives of the Apache Commons user mailing list  show
many queries asking for it over the years. And SCXML commiters told me it is a good topic
for a open source and GSoC endeavor.
+
  This project aims to develop an [[http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/gmf/|GMF]] based Eclipse
plunge-in visual editor which is capable of showing a graphical representation of the process
model and allows for adding breakpoints to activities, variable modifications and managing
the debugging process for SCXML.I have already done some work on both SCXML and Eclipse GMF,even
i tried to implement a SCXML editor using GMF and got a little achievement,so i want to develop
this editor with GMF and have enough confidence to finish it.

- Usually,State Chart XML file will be running on a SCXML engine,such as our Commons SCXML,if
some one only want to achieve the SCXML file's business logic,but do not want to or can not
use some SCXML engine due to some reasons(for example,some guy want to run scxml on web page,but
he can not find JavaScript SCXML engine, or some guys want to use SCXML to express his logic
in Java,but he does not want to import so many jars),this tool can export SCXML file's logic
to executeable Java,C++,JavaScript and python code which has the same state logic translation
with the SCXML file.
+ Usually,State Chart XML file will be running on a SCXML engine,such as our Commons SCXML,if
some one only want to achieve the SCXML file's business logic,but do not want to or can not
use some SCXML engine due to some reasons(for example,some guy want to run scxml on web page,but
he can not find JavaScript SCXML engine),this code generation module will leverage the Commons
SCXML APIs and assume those jars are available. In my plan, i will implement Java,JavaScript,C++
and python support for it.

  So,I want to mainly complete the following funcitons:

   1. Create a Eclipse plunge-in and GMF based Visual editor for SCXML. This editor can be
used to add or edit State Chart Diagram by drap and drop operations, and user can modify State
properties of SCXML in Eclipes property view.
+  1. State Chart XML export function. State Chart Diagram can be saved as a SCXML file.
   1. Implement debug function for the editor. This SCXML editor will integrate Apache Commons
SCXML engine to run State Chart XML file, show context attributes and variables at the breakpoints.Implement
step by step,state by state debug function.
-  1. State Chart XML export function. State Chart Diagram can be saved as a SCXML file.
-  1. Code generation function. This is a tentative job. In the future,this tool will can
generate Java,C++,JavaScript and Python codes according to State Chart Diagram. But as we
know,i have only more than two months to finish a GSoC project,so, i will hold this as a long
term open source project under Apache,during this summer,if i have enough time,i will finish
Java code generation job.In the short run, i will implement JavaScript,C++ and Python code
generation jobs.
+  1. Code generation function. I will finish Java code generation module. And in the future,this
tool will can generate Java,C++,JavaScript and Python codes according to State Chart Diagram.
But as we know,i have only more than two months to finish a GSoC project,so, i will hold this
as a long term open source project under Apache,during this summer,i will finish Java code
generation job.In the short run, i will implement JavaScript,C++ and Python code generation
jobs.

  '''Additional Information:'''

@@ -48, +50 @@

   * April 26 - May 24:Community Bonding Period (April 26 - May 24): Get to know mentors,
read documentation, and prepare development environment.
   * May 25 - Jun 8: Implement GMF based basic visual editor for State Chart XML
   * Jun 9 - Jun 16: Implement properties edit operations in Eclipse property view, finish
SCXML file export function
-  * Jun 17 - Jun 21: SCXML debuger design and  validate
-  * Jun 22 - Jun 30: Intergate with Apache Commons SCXML engine, implement debugor function
coding job
-  * Jul 1 - Jul 7: Finish SCXML document export design job,including generation guidance
UI design and generate system design
+  * Jun 17 - Jun 24: Finish SCXML document export design job,including generation guidance
UI design and generate system design
-  * Jul 8 - Jul 12:Finish SCXML document generation coding job
+  * Jun 25 - Jun 28:Finish SCXML document generation coding job
+  * Jun 29 - Jul 2:SCXML debuger design and  validate
+  * Jul 3 - Jul 12:  Intergate with Apache Commons SCXML engine, implement debugor function
coding job
-  * Jul 13 -Jul 31: Design Java code generation module, do my best to do more coding job
for Java generation module
+  * Jul 13 -Jul 31: Design Java code generation module, finish Java code generation module
   * Aug 1 - Aug 9: Write test cases to test generator,fix bugs do some improvement jobs
   * Aug 10 -Aug 16: Scrub code, write tests, improve documentation, etc
   * Aug 17 - Aug 20: Submit all my work

  '''Something about me'''

- My name is Xunlong Gui.My major is computer scienece and technology,and i am a postgraduate
student of University of Science and Technology Beijing.I am familar with Eclipse,Java,GMF,SCXML,XML,XSL
and some other open source projects,such as struts,spring,jstl,dojo and so on and have several
years of Java development experience.I am familiar with many project in Apache Foundation,Eclipse
Foundation as well as Dojo Foundation.
+ My name is Xunlong Gui.My major is computer scienece and technology,and i am a postgraduate
student of University of Science and Technology Beijing.I am familar with Eclipse,Java,GMF,SCXML,XML,XSL
and some other open source projects,such as struts,spring,jstl,dojo and so on and have several
years of Java development experience.I am familiar with many project in Apache Foundation,Eclipse
Foundation as well as Dojo Foundation .
+
+ My e-mail is , and my mobile phone number is 861013488831434. When i was working in IBM
China,my mentor helped me a lot and know me well, if you are interested, my mentors may give
you some impersonal evaluation about my ability and others.
+ My mentor in IBM China Research Lab: Ping Pan/Email:panping@cn.ibm.com
+ My mentor in IBM China Develop Lab: Qian Liang/Email:liangq@cn.ibm.com

  '''My open source development experience:'''

   * Built a tool for struts2 to generate XML config file
   * Develop a Eclipse plugin for Apache SCXML engine which was a visualizing tool for navigating
and editing complex SCXML state description XML.

-  '''What i did in my student period'''
+ '''What i did in my student period'''

   * 2005: Won China Computer World Scholarship (relative info:http://www.etiri.com.cn/publish/article_show.php?id=~26536529455)
-  *  2007.1 - 2009.7 : Work in IBM China Research Laborary,my team focus on telecom J2EE
solution,get lots of XML relative knowledge
+  * 2007.1 - 2009.7 : Work in IBM China Research Laborary,my team focus on telecom J2EE solution,get
lots of XML relative knowledge
   * 2009.8 - 2010.3 : Work in IBM China Development Laborary as a intern
+
  ----
-
  CategoryHomepage