commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [IO] Progress Monitor
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 23:51:16 GMT

You use the current API. For example, a made-up example:

FileUtils.copy(File, File) stays as is. A new method is created:
FileUtils.copy(File, File, ProgressMonitor)

You only use the API you need.

We cannot remove the (File,File) API of course. We could deprecate it but that does not seem
right for this compoenent.

Internally, it makes sense for the (File,File) method to call (File,File,ProgressMonitor)
API with null or a NullProgressMonitor (which does nothing). It seems easier to pass in a
NullProgressMonitor instead of checking for null all over the place.

Gary