commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Issue 348
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:42:31 GMT
Hmm... no this is not dependent on CM.  This is an example that I wrote in 3
minutes to illustrate the point.

I think the confusion is that I assumed that commons.math distributions
supported sampling.  I don't think that capability is available even now
(although a user contributed patches months ago to do that).  My example is
geared towards that.

The problem is probably mine.  I haven't been using commons math since the
Mahout project decided that it wasn't usable for our needs and I assumed
that this basic capability was available.

If distributions are viewed only as a pure function that computes the
density and cumulative distribution function, then what I say has no
utility, but then again, without sampling distributions are also much less
useful.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve