commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dimitri Pourbaix <>
Subject Re: [MATH] Comment on MATH-352
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:17:37 GMT

> So I would suggest to put a customizable threshold with a default value
> of MathUtils.SAFE_MIN and a setQRRankingThreshold(double threshold)
> method. This will preserve compatibility. With this setting, one could
> check all existing tests should pass. The solution proposed by the
> reporter does not work on all cases because the threshold is far too
> high for the ill-conditioned problems in the minpack tests. In fact, any
> threshold greater than 1.0e-66 leads to some tests failing.
> We should also use setQRRankingThreshold with more lenient settings to
> check we either don't find the optimum or completely fail depending on
> the rank we (badly) compute.
> Do you want to take care of this issue ?

Yes, I will work on that next week.

Dimitri Pourbaix                         *
Institut d'Astronomie et d'Astrophysique *      Don't worry, be happy
CP 226, office 2.N4.211, building NO     *         and CARPE DIEM.
Universite Libre de Bruxelles            *
Boulevard du Triomphe                    *      Tel : +32-2-650.35.71
  B-1050 Bruxelles                        *      Fax : +32-2-650.42.26     *

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message