commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [DAEMON] Procrun documentation
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 02:07:38 GMT

From: "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:18 PM
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DAEMON] Procrun documentation

> On 18/03/2010, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 03/18/2010 08:13 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> > As people may have noticed, I've been trying to update the procrun
>> > documentation.
>> >

>>  Cool, thanks.
>>  But that doesn't mean you are free to delay the
>>  release forever :)
>>  Let's push the 1.0.3 out and work on improvements.
>>

> Yes, fine.
>
> It was when I started trying to test the 1.0.3 build on Win/XP that I
> realised that I had no idea how to. So I decided to document as I
> found things out - and I think I'm nearly there.
>
>> > There are a few details that need clarifying:
>> > - the Start/Stop mode can be jvm, Java or exe. What do these each do?
>> >

>>  jvm loads the jvm in process, java is just like .exe but it
>>  figures out the .exe from default JVM installed.
>>

> So effectively Java mode figures out the value for StartImage/StopImage?

Yes, it will override any user supplied StartImage or StopImage.

> Are the options Classname and Method used in Java mode?
> Or just Classname? Or neither?

Java mode uses ClassPath, Classname, options, JvmMs, JvmMx, JvmSs (as well
as StartParams/StopParams).  Since it is executing java.exe, the Method is
ignored (it will use 'static void main(String [])').

> Presumably these are not used in exe mode, as they would not make sense.

Yes, exe is not restricted to running Java.  It can be used to wrap any .exe
file as a service.  As a result, the entire command line needs to be
specified in StartParams/StopParams, and the Java specific options like
Classpath, StartClass, StopClass, etc are ignored.  I've used this in the
past to convert other non-java programs into services.

>> > Does Procrun support Daemon mode? If so, how is it configured? I could
>> > not get it to work with the SimpleDaemon example.
>> >

>>  It doesn't. procrun does not use java daemon code.
>
> OK.
>
> So Procrun and Jsrv have no common API at all?

They have no common API at all.  This isn't too surprising, since they exist
to fill two completely non-overlapping needs.

Jsvc is so that the application (e.g. Tomcat) can perform some privileged
operations as root (e.g. bind to port < 1024), and then switch identity to a
non-privileged user.  Since Windows doesn't have the concept of privileged
ports, there isn't much use for it on Windows, so it largely remained
non-functional in Windows until Mladen fixed it in 1.0.2.

Procrun is to allow Windows users to wrap (mostly) Java applications (e.g.
Tomcat) as a service that can be started when the machine boots and will
continue to run with no user logged onto the machine.  On *nix machines
there isn't much use for this, since you just place a script in /etc/init.d.