commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 03:37:24 GMT
Welcome! I am not on the PMC, but commons is a pretty easy place to work. If you would like
to move Convert from dormant into the sandbox I suspect you would meet little resistence since
the policy here is failry liberal with respect to giving ASF committers access to the commons
sandbox.

Ralph

On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Hello all. My name is Adrian Crum and I am a PMC member of the Apache Open For Business
project (OFBiz).

> Apache OFBiz is an ERP application, and it contains some technologies that would be suitable
for spinning off into stand-alone libraries.

> One of those technologies is a Java object type conversion framework. I noticed that
Commons has a dormant Convert sub-project, and I believe that would be a good place for our
library. In other words, I would be interested in adopting the Convert project.

> Another technology suitable for spin-off is our Temporal Expression library. You can
read more about that in our Wiki - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBENDUSER/Temporal+Expressions.
I'm not sure where that would fit into the Commons project. I expect it to be developed further
into a complete calendaring code library.

> Both of these technologies are written in Java, and they are already using the Apache
2 license.

> The Apache OFBiz developer community supports my efforts to spin off these technologies,
and some in the community would likely join any new projects they create.