commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [math] releasing 2.1 - compatibility breaks, site build failure
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:51:27 GMT

From: "Phil Steitz" <phil.steitz@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:27 PM
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: [math] releasing 2.1 - compatibility breaks,  site build failure

> I have completed all of the code / doco changes that I see as
> necessary for 2.1.  While preparing an initial RC, I ran into two
> issues, that I want to get consensus on before moving forward.
>
> 1) The clirr report is ugly
> (http://commons.apache.org/math/clirr-report.html)
> I was +1 on all of the breaks, which were all of the form "we got
> the API definitions wrong on 2.0, few users are likely depending on
> these APIs and we are fixing them now."  I just want us all to
> review the full set of compatibility breaks and decide that we can
> release trunk as 2.0 (vs. 3.0 or try to retrofit).

Yes, the only thing I could suggest is to make the clirr report even uglier
by cleaning up ArrayRealVector to use it's base class methods for map**
methods ;).  I don't consider this important enough to hold up a 2.1
release, but if other people do, I'm happy to volunteer to do the work.

I agree with Luc that this should be 2.1.  This is mostly bug fixes.  I'd
vote to release this as 2.1.