commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [all] Changing maven groupIDs [WAS: [IO] Next version of IO - should this be 2.0?]
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2010 23:07:24 GMT

On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> It used to be that way, but it has changed. The repo maintainers want to
>>> remove all manual stuff, including anything from Apache that is not
>>> under groupId org.apache.*. We (the ASF) don't want anything pushed to
>>> the central repository that is from under groupId other than org.apache.*.
>>>
>>> It is only a matter of time before our current way (groupid commons-*)
>>> will be shut down completely. If people have opinions about this I
>>> suggest that you take them to repository@a.o for discussion.
>>
>> OK
>
> I think we need to have that discussion. We (Commons) are happy to
> contribute to and subsequently follow ASF policy on how we publish
> maven artifacts. Unless I missed it on repository@, though, we have
> not as ASF agreed on a policy to retire the "legacy" groupIds. We
> also seem to be lacking consensus / clarity on how exactly we can
> accomplish "relocation" without potentially serious implications for
> the users of heavily-depended-on components.
>
> Therefore here in commons, I think we have agreed that we will move
> to org.apache.commons groupId when we make incompatible changes in a
> new release.  That *must* coincide with a major release and it *may*
> coincide with a change in package name.  It is possible, as in the
> present case with [io], that a major release will not introduce
> incompatible API changes, in which case we will not change the
> groupId. I see us cutting patch releases using "legacy" IDs for some
> time to come.
>
> Please commons ppl respond if you disagree with the statements
> above.  Assuming we are in agreement, we can continue the discussion
> on repository@

There is no reason to panic here. I was asked about commons on the Maven PMC list last week
(I am a Maven PMC member). Even though I am not on the Commons PMC I am quite familiar with
it as I have been committing here for over a year and a half now and been following the dev,
user and pmc lists for that whole time. My response to the Maven PMC was that our policy is
to continue to release point releases with the same groupIds as they currently have but that
new versions would all be under org.apache.commons, which is the philosophy I have seen stated
here several times. They were fine with that as they certainly understand the problems that
forcing a change would cause.

Ralph