commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LANG][COLLECTIONS] Beta releases
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:08:47 GMT
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> Possibly a query for IO too if it's 2.0 has large changes.
>
> Given the large API changes in Lang 3.0 and Collections 4.0, a beta
> release seems like a very useful thing (kudos to pbenedict for
> convincing of me that months ago on IM :) ).
>
> I'm interested in what advice and thoughts people might have on the
> subject. Areas I can think of are:
>
> 1) versioning, does JIRA identify the version as 3.0-beta1; or just
> have a 3.0 and treat the beta as an invisible release? I'm preferring
> the latter.

IMO the former is better.

> 2) Maven - does the beta go to the main Maven repo, or just tell
> people to pull from snapshot (and make sure there are current
> snapshots in the snapshot repo)? I'm thinking the latter.

I think it should be in the main repo - its a proper release and it
will make it easier/more likely for people to test.

> 3) Announcements - blogging, announce@ type announcements presumably.
> 4) Length of time spent in beta. I think we should define this up front.

OK but I don't think it should be too rigid - it should depend on the
level of feedback we get. Why not say minimum of a month and review it
after that.

> The intent would be to get early adopters using and finding bugs, but
> more importantly drive conversation around the API changes and suggest
> new ones. I want us to be able to change an API without having to say
> "Yeah, that was dumb - sadly we have to wait 'til 5.0".

I agree - and thats what happened with the BeanUtils 1.8.0 - we did
change the API between the beta and the final release.

Niall