commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <>
Subject Re: [ALL] Compile and Test under different JVM from Maven
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:23:29 GMT
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Jörg Schaible <> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
> sebb wrote:
>> On 09/03/2010, Jörg Schaible <> wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Another solution should be the animal sniffer:
>>>  This should ensures that the generated byte code is using only the API
>>>  of a previously generated signature. There are already signatures for
>>>  the different JREs. This way you could even check for JRE 1.3
>>>  compatibility.
>> Animal looks like a lot of work; and you have to create signatures for
>> each release (why are these not included as part of the plugin?)
> They are available as separate artifacts - at least for the JDK's:
>> Using a profile looks to be fairly simple in comparison.
> Because you cannot cover JDK 1.3, you cannot cover JDK 1.4 when using Maven
> 2.2 or higher and everybody has to setup the parameters for the JDKs
> individually on his own.

Using the actual JDK though has to be *safer* than relying on animal
sniffer to pick up api creep and it doesn't allow you to test under
each JDK version. Setting up settings.xml is just a one off and its
optional for people who want to test on alternative versions. I like

> - Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message