commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] commons-parent-13 problems
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:03:24 GMT
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:34 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:
>>  > Hi Niall,
>>  >
>>  > Niall Pemberton wrote at Dienstag, 9. März 2010 02:42:
>>  >
>>  >> Unfortunately the upgrade of the maven-site-plugin from 2.0.1 to 2.1
>>  >> has caused the site generation for Chain, Configuration and DBCP to
>>  >> now fail. I'm looking into this to see whether its something we can
>>  >> fix in the components or whether we need to downgrade the site plugin
>>  >> version.
>>  >>
>>  >> I have reverted the maven-bundle-plugin version to 1.4.3 and the
>>  >> maven-remote-resources-plugin to 1.0 (version 1.1 inherited from
>>  >> apache parent 7) - this restores JDK 1.4 compatibility for "mvn
>>  >> package/install".
>>  >
>>  > Did you give the animal-sniffer a try?
>>

>> No, but this is more Sebb's thing. I think its still a good idea to
>>  build/test on the target JDK when checking out a release. Which is
>>  what I did for Lang 2.5 and Beanutiles 1.8.x
>
> I am working on a fix for the parent pom which allows the compile &
> test to be run under a different JVM than Maven itself.
>
> The proposed fix is to add profiles for Java 1.3 and Java 1.4 (even
> Java 1.5); these profiles are used to tweak the compiler and surefire
> plugin configurations.

I haven't tried this out but perhaps it could be done with one new
profile and four properties. In the new profile in the parent pom use
something like:

     <plugin>
       <configuration>
         <executable>${commons.java.home}/bin/javac</executable>
       </configuration>
     </plugin>

In a component that requires JDK 1.3 have:
    <properties>
        <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_3_HOME}</commons.java.home>
    </properties>

In a component that requires JDK 1.4 have:
    <properties>
        <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_4_HOME}</commons.java.home>
    </properties>

In a component that requires JDK 1.5 have:
    <properties>
        <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_5_HOME}</commons.java.home>
    </properties>

Then locally developers just need to configure JAVA_1_3_HOME,
JAVA_1_4_HOME, JAVA_1_5_HOME in their settings.xml and they can then
build the component with the target JDK version.

Niall