commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 13
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 00:58:00 GMT
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  >  I'd like to release version 13 of the commons-parent pom - the changes
>>  >  since the last release are:
>>  >
>>  >   - Upgrade to use commons-build-plugin 1.2 (for improved download pages)
>>  >   - Change OSGi config to not import exported packages
>>  >   - only generate javadocs, rather than full site in the "rc" profile
>>  >  (fixes problem with multi-module components)
>>  >   - Upgrade from version 4 to 7 of the apache parent pom
>>  >   - Upgrade maven plugins to latest release versions
>>  >
>>  >  A full diff of the pom.xml can be found at this address:
>>  >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=917324&r2=827809&diff_format=h
>>  >
>>  >  The version number in the pom will be updated automatically during the
>>  >  release process.
>>  >
>>  >  [ ] +1
>>  >  [ ] =0
>>  >  [ ] -1
>>  >
>>  >  Vote is open for 72 hours
>>

>> I've discovered a problem with the parent pom:
>>
>>  javadoc:jar reports:
>>
>>  [INFO]    task-segment: [javadoc:jar]
>>  [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  [WARNING] DEPRECATED [aggregate]: since 2.5. Use the goals
>>  instead.
>>  [INFO] [javadoc:jar {execution: default-cli}]
>>  [INFO]
>>

> Deleting line 330
>    <aggregate>false</aggregate>
> seems to do the trick when experimenting with EXEC, but I've no idea
> if dropping the line will cause errors in other projects.

Its a deprecation so I wouldn't describe it as a problem - but we
should remove it. I doubt it has any impact as its being set to the
default value anyway. Most components are simple (single module)  and
I'm sure it will have no impact on them. Probably a good idea to check
out the multi-module components we have (vfs, jci) - but I'd be
surprised if it had any impact.

> Also just noticed that
>
> mvn javadoc:test-jar
>
> does not include the N&L files in the jar, and the MANIFEST does not
> have the same details as the main code javadoc jar. Not essential, but
> if it can be fixed easily then let's add it?

I'm not convinced (despite [1]) we actually need N&L files for javadoc
jars - we play it safe for those we distribute by putting them in, but
I think this would be just *noise* in our build for test javadoc jars
which we are not distributing in any releases.

Niall

[1] http://markmail.org/message/cnmhhqpk5o6hlv7e