commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Daemon 1.0.3 based on RC2
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:54:50 GMT
On 03/17/2010 06:40 PM, sebb wrote:

>>   The purpose of multiple archives is to allow
>>   users to choose their preferred unarchiver.
>>

> It therefore follows that the presumption that the files in zip
> archives must have LF line endings is wrong.

Nope. It presumes that the sources will be buildable
on all platforms. That's what I'm concerned about.

I just don't care if the users will have to use
the wordpad instead notepad on windoze.

If you think that there is absolute must that
README will be visible in notepad, make it
CRLF in all archives. On unix no one cares, cause
any viewer will handle that.

> It also follows that it is wrong to assume that tar.gz files are not
> targetted at Windows.

Exactly, that's why even tar.gz has DOS line endings for windows/**

>>   Unless the archive is explicitly named
>>   as *-win32-src.zip (take a look at httpd and apr)
>>   different line ending are actually wrong.
>
> Not sure what you mean by different line ending here - different from what?

Between .tar.gz and .zip

> commons-1.0.3-bin-windows.zip is explicitly for windows, yet does not
> have DOS endings.

Those files are manually created anyhow. Feel free to repack them
with DOS line endings. I don't care.

Regards
--
^TM