commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Replace Commons Site m1 build with m2 version
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:24:53 GMT
On 2010-03-13 16:54, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I've changed the pom's parent from commons-parent to apache - this
>>> means we don't inherit the reports specified (such as surefure) and
>>> also the site.xml. Not inheriting site.xml from commons-parent gives
>>> us more control over the main sites navigation.
>>
>> We could move all the reposting stuff in commons parent to a "reporting"
>> profile. This is a common way to achieve two things:
>>
>> - Make the build faster if you don't want the reports
>> - Prevent some children (like commons-site) from inheriting stuff unless
>> you explicitly activate the profile
>>
>> The only drawback is that you need to supply the -Preporting parameter
>> when you deploy the site, but this can easily be documented in our
>> release instructions.
>>
>> I can help with this if you think it's a good idea.
>
> I think the small amount of duplication (mailing list information) is
> probably better. It also didn't work out that well inheriting the
> site.xml from commons-proper. The old m1 site had expanding menus for
> components/sandbox/dormant. We don't want to put that in the
> commons-parent site.xml as it would mean we needed to release
> commons-parent every time we wanted to do a menu change for a new
> module - or moved module. Also there is less control over the main
> site menu - because it needs to be geared towards being inherited by
> components - this way we are freed up to have a slightly different
> menu - no constrained by what modules require.

I understand. We could create another POM project to handle this. Move
the stuff that is only interesting for components to a
commons-component-parent and let all our components inherit from that
POM. What is left in commons-parent should work well for commons-site
and other non-components that might occur.

commons-parent (minus reporting and component-specific navigation)

+-- commons-site

+-- commons-component (reporting and component-specific navigation)

    +-- commons-bar

    +-- commons-foo

> Niall
>
>>> Niall