commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [IO] Next version of IO - should this be 2.0?
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:28:53 GMT
On 2010-03-07 16:45, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The plan was to release it as 2.0 - but IMO its not a requirement.

>>> -1 - see comments on JIRA ticket
>>
>> We need to make this switch sooner rather than later. Currently every
>> release with a groupId och commons-* requires manual work from the
>> people who manage Maven central repository. We're just about the only
>> Apache project left not using a groupId of org.apache.*.
>
> I thought it was only when we did the first m2 release for a component
> and not for subsequent m2 releases for the group. Is that not the
> case?

It used to be that way, but it has changed. The repo maintainers want to
remove all manual stuff, including anything from Apache that is not
under groupId org.apache.*. We (the ASF) don't want anything pushed to
the central repository that is from under groupId other than org.apache.*.

It is only a matter of time before our current way (groupid commons-*)
will be shut down completely. If people have opinions about this I
suggest that you take them to repository@a.o for discussion.

>> We have previously said that we should make the switch to a groupId of
>> org.apache.commons when we do a major release. IMO we need to stick by
>> that decision.
>
> I don't remember that decision, do you have a link to the thread? Even
> if we did - this is going to cause problems for users who change their
> dependency to the latest - but also depend on other artifacts that
> have an older dependency on commons-io. Is this user pain worth it?

I found this thread, which touches the issue:

http://markmail.org/message/l3oezqvhehscm67l

For such a change to be totally transparent we cannot rely on the
relocation feature of Maven, which has been discussed before. We would
have to change the package name, which I think was done in lang, from
org.apache.commons.io to org.apache.commons.io2.

> Niall
>
>>> Niall

Dennis Lundberg