commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 04:17:04 GMT
There's a very in depth and bureaucratic membership process.

Q1: What's your login?
Q2: Have you answered Q1? :)

On the Convert codebase - don't feel the need to have to adapt the
existing one unless you want to base your code on it. Stick it in as
'ofbiz-convert' or something and we can argue the name when it comes
to promotion time (you'll have my vote for the 'Convert' name to be

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Ralph Goers <> wrote:
> Welcome! I am not on the PMC, but commons is a pretty easy place to work. If you would
like to move Convert from dormant into the sandbox I suspect you would meet little resistence
since the policy here is failry liberal with respect to giving ASF committers access to the
commons sandbox.
> Ralph
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>> Hello all. My name is Adrian Crum and I am a PMC member of the Apache Open For Business
project (OFBiz).
>> Apache OFBiz is an ERP application, and it contains some technologies that would
be suitable for spinning off into stand-alone libraries.
>> One of those technologies is a Java object type conversion framework. I noticed that
Commons has a dormant Convert sub-project, and I believe that would be a good place for our
library. In other words, I would be interested in adopting the Convert project.
>> Another technology suitable for spin-off is our Temporal Expression library. You
can read more about that in our Wiki -
I'm not sure where that would fit into the Commons project. I expect it to be developed further
into a complete calendaring code library.
>> Both of these technologies are written in Java, and they are already using the Apache
2 license.
>> The Apache OFBiz developer community supports my efforts to spin off these technologies,
and some in the community would likely join any new projects they create.