commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 04:17:04 GMT
There's a very in depth and bureaucratic membership process.

Q1: What's your login?
Q2: Have you answered Q1? :)

On the Convert codebase - don't feel the need to have to adapt the
existing one unless you want to base your code on it. Stick it in as
'ofbiz-convert' or something and we can argue the name when it comes
to promotion time (you'll have my vote for the 'Convert' name to be
available).

Hen

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Welcome! I am not on the PMC, but commons is a pretty easy place to work. If you would
like to move Convert from dormant into the sandbox I suspect you would meet little resistence
since the policy here is failry liberal with respect to giving ASF committers access to the
commons sandbox.

> Ralph
>
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Hello all. My name is Adrian Crum and I am a PMC member of the Apache Open For Business
project (OFBiz).

>> Apache OFBiz is an ERP application, and it contains some technologies that would
be suitable for spinning off into stand-alone libraries.

>> One of those technologies is a Java object type conversion framework. I noticed that
Commons has a dormant Convert sub-project, and I believe that would be a good place for our
library. In other words, I would be interested in adopting the Convert project.

>> Another technology suitable for spin-off is our Temporal Expression library. You
can read more about that in our Wiki - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBENDUSER/Temporal+Expressions.
I'm not sure where that would fit into the Commons project. I expect it to be developed further
into a complete calendaring code library.

>> Both of these technologies are written in Java, and they are already using the Apache
2 license.

>> The Apache OFBiz developer community supports my efforts to spin off these technologies,
and some in the community would likely join any new projects they create.