commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Nexus for mvn management WAS Re: [LANG][COLLECTIONS] Beta releases
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 05:50:31 GMT

On Mar 29, 2010, at 8:11 AM, Matt Benson wrote:

>> What was the release process for the sandbox component you and Ralph released?
>>

> To be precise, Ralph and I had worked with Nexus on separate components, and as those
were sandbox components it goes without saying that they've not been through the entire release
process.  We've only published snapshots, and as far as that's concerned, it's not _that_
huge a difference.  I feel that I have had less trouble publishing snapshots to Nexus than
I had to p.a.o, though it's been so long I honestly can't recall what precisely my problems
were--I have a dim recollection of the whole process going to hell and my having to manually
delete stuff from p.a.o to get things working.  I also mentioned that "this is the way the
wind is blowing":  it would appear that the entire ASF is moving toward using repository.a.o
and in this case there's not much point in my trying to sell it, particularly as I personally
am not known to be a big fan of mvn in general.  :P  However, I will continue with my stammering
attempt to explain the additional benefits of this change, at risk of failure due to my admittedly
shallow understanding of the whole process.  The primary benefit to the release cycle, as
I understand it, is the support of the staging step.  From what I can glean from the documentation,
it would seem that when Nexus is used as the target repository of a release, a temporary "staging
repository" is generated for your release.  You then provide the staging repository's URL
as the basis for the release vote, and, once the vote is successfully completed, you use the
Nexus UI to promote the entire staging repo to public availability.  In particular, the best
soup-to-nuts detail is to be had from http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/apache-release.html
which purports to be a start-to-finish guide for releasing _any_ Maven-based ASF project.
 Noting that our own Commons release instructions have never _seemed_ fully-baked (and this
is meant with no offense to any of the contributors to said documentation), what's available
from the mvn team would presumably be a step forward to making the release process less onerous.
 The referenced URL also mentions things like cutting the release tag for you, but I am pretty
sure this is functionality that has existed in mvn for quite some time; in fact the details
of how to support the RC-based approach we use @ Commons would be my only question/concern.
 As a member of both the Commons and Maven PMCs, and the other "suspect" in this case, I wonder
if Ralph would have more useful details for us here; Dennis's input would be similarly welcome.

I assume I am the Ralph you are referring to?  To be fair, when I was trying to get the Maven
2 build to work for VFS I knew Brian Fox was setting up the Nexus repositories for Apache
and that they were meant to replace the existing infrastructure. As I recall he gave me the
settings to use to publish to it, but VFS has not had any releases to validate it. I've been
using Nexus at work for a year, I know the central repo is running on Nexus and I know the
Apache repo Brian set up has been running for a while now. I see no reason not to use it.
My understanding is that that repository is where Maven central expects to find new ASF artifacts.

Other than that, I don't know that I have much useful info to provide, however I am sure that
Brian Fox would be happy to provide more guidance if needed.

Ralph