commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] commons-parent-13 problems
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:15:24 GMT
On 11/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:34 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 10/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de>
wrote:
>  >>  > Hi Niall,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Niall Pemberton wrote at Dienstag, 9. März 2010 02:42:
>  >>  >
>  >>  >> Unfortunately the upgrade of the maven-site-plugin from 2.0.1 to
2.1
>  >>  >> has caused the site generation for Chain, Configuration and DBCP
>  >>  >> now fail. I'm looking into this to see whether its something we can
>  >>  >> fix in the components or whether we need to downgrade the site plugin
>  >>  >> version.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> I have reverted the maven-bundle-plugin version to 1.4.3 and the
>  >>  >> maven-remote-resources-plugin to 1.0 (version 1.1 inherited from
>  >>  >> apache parent 7) - this restores JDK 1.4 compatibility for "mvn
>  >>  >> package/install".
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Did you give the animal-sniffer a try?
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> No, but this is more Sebb's thing. I think its still a good idea to
>  >>  build/test on the target JDK when checking out a release. Which is
>  >>  what I did for Lang 2.5 and Beanutiles 1.8.x
>  >
>  > I am working on a fix for the parent pom which allows the compile &
>  > test to be run under a different JVM than Maven itself.
>  >
>  > The proposed fix is to add profiles for Java 1.3 and Java 1.4 (even
>  > Java 1.5); these profiles are used to tweak the compiler and surefire
>  > plugin configurations.
>

> I haven't tried this out but perhaps it could be done with one new
>  profile and four properties. In the new profile in the parent pom use
>  something like:
>
>      <plugin>
>        <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>        <configuration>
>          <executable>${commons.java.home}/bin/javac</executable>
>        </configuration>
>      </plugin>
>
>  In a component that requires JDK 1.3 have:
>     <properties>
>         <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_3_HOME}</commons.java.home>
>     </properties>
>
>  In a component that requires JDK 1.4 have:
>     <properties>
>         <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_4_HOME}</commons.java.home>
>     </properties>
>
>  In a component that requires JDK 1.5 have:
>     <properties>
>         <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_5_HOME}</commons.java.home>
>     </properties>
>
>  Then locally developers just need to configure JAVA_1_3_HOME,
>  JAVA_1_4_HOME, JAVA_1_5_HOME in their settings.xml and they can then
>  build the component with the target JDK version.

One of the problems is that the Surefire plugin needs to run under the
target version of Java; this means downgrading the version for Java
1.3.

Also, by having separate profiles for each JVM version, one can build
LANG with Java 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 whilst running Maven under Java 1.6.

Furthermore, there is no need to update the component poms.

>  Niall
>

>  > By default the build would use the same JVM as Maven - i.e. same as at
>  > present - but if the user has installed other versions of the JVM,
>  > they can define the JVM locations (e.g. in settings.xml) and enable
>  > the appropriate JVM using the relevant profile.
>  >
>  > I think this should address all the requirements we have.
>  >
>  >>
>  >>  Niall
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=920607
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> maven-site-plugin 2.1 requires maven 2.1 to run (which AFAIK needs
JDK