commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [all] OSGI - POOL-160
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:17:41 GMT
Hi Guillaime,

Guillaume Nodet wrote at Donnerstag, 25. Februar 2010 15:49:

> I just had a lively chat with Peter who kinda agreed that
> substitutability issue is mostly important for APIs.
>
> Please have a look at the Felix FAQ entry:
>   http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-osgi-
faq.html#ApacheFelixOSGiFAQ-Shouldabundleimportitsownexportedpackages%253F
> I haven't written it, so I can't be blame for that one.
> The last paragraph says:
>     "The main time you want to export only, is if your bundle is
> purely a library bundle, then its packages will only be used if they
> are needed."

what we are saying is, that none of us is an OSGi expert and before we
published the first artifact with such information, we took the advice of
the Apache Felix community. If they recommend now something different, we'd
like to get some "official" blessing for the changes, simply because we
cannot really review it.

> In all cases, the current imports *are* wrong and need to be fixed,
> because the way they are written will fail if there is any
> incompatible change ever introduced (whatever the version).  And I
> don't think we should guarantee that, especially across major
> versions.

What has been released is final. We're not able to change that anymore. All
we can do is to change the OSGi information for new releases.

> Anyway, the problem is the following.
> You install commons-pool 1.5 in the osgi framework.
> Then you install commons-pool 1.4 later.
> What you end up with is:
>
> karaf@root> osgi:list -l | grep commons-pool
> [ 100] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60]
> mvn:commons-pool/commons-pool/1.5.4
> [ 124] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60]
> mvn:commons-pool/commons-pool/1.4
> karaf@root> packages:exports 100
> Commons Pool (100): org.apache.commons.pool.impl; version=1.5.4
> Commons Pool (100): org.apache.commons.pool; version=1.5.4
> karaf@root> packages:exports 124
> Apache Commons Pool Bundle (124): No active exported packages.
> karaf@root> packages:imports 124
> Commons Pool (100): org.apache.commons.pool.impl; version=1.5.4
> Commons Pool (100): org.apache.commons.pool; version=1.5.4
> karaf@root> osgi:start 170
> Error executing command: Unresolved constraint in bundle
> org.apache.activemq.activemq-pool [129]: package;
> (&(package=org.apache.commons.pool.impl)(version>=1.4.0)(!
(version>=1.5.0)))

While I see an error, it does not tell me a lot ;-)

- Jörg