commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [all] OSGI - POOL-160
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:26:51 GMT
Hi Guillaume,

Guillaume Nodet wrote at Donnerstag, 25. Februar 2010 14:13:

> I'm not a committer on commons, but I've diagnosed the issue we had in
> ServiceMix with the commons-pool bundles.
> I can confirm that the patch is the right way to go.   If a bundle
> acting as a library imports its own exported packages, you're bound to
> a lot of problems.

Well, this has come up before and was an explicit recommendation by the
experts:

Peter Kriens: "Bnd automatically imports all exports to allow
substitutability. If you do not do this, you create all kinds of standalone
class spaces and things will not work together. It is generally bad practice
to only export a package."

http://commons.markmail.org/message/lgmj7srrxhld42tp

> This problem applies to all releases of commons-pool and maybe to
> other commons-xxx components.
> I need to try if, but a better way might be to change the
> commons-parent pom with something like:
>
>     <commons.osgi.export>org.apache.commons.*;version=${pom.version};-
noimport</commons.osgi.export>

> This should work the same (i.e. not import our own exports), but be
> applicable to all modules.

I'd rather not chage this unless proven by the experts again...

- Jörg