commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Jexl 2.0 released.
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:08:09 GMT
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/02/2010, henrib <henrib@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Relinked readme.
>>  Not sure what to do about 1.1: should I hand-modify download_jexl.xml to
>>  include 1.1 Source/Binary entries, regen html & copy over in
>>  /www/commons.apache.org/jexl ? (1.1 tars/signature being still available in
>>  /www/www.apache.org/dist/commons/jexl/{source,binaries}) Would this be
>>  enough?
>
> So long as both are available on the download page that's all that
> matters as far as the end-users are concerned.
>
> I don't know how to achieve this with the M2 build. It would be best
> if the change was done in such a way that it would not be lost if the
> site is updated.

<snip/>

Edit by hand for now. A simple 'mvn site' won't cause the edits to be
lost thereafter. Once there is a v1.2 of the commons build plugin, we
can do this correctly -- its addressed in COMMONSSITE-48 [1].

Since you will be sending another announcement to the user list, if I
may nitpick on some cosmetic improvements (take what you like):

(a) The line breaks aren't right in the announcement email, so the
text doesn't flow correctly and is a bit hard to read

(b) I prefer bug lists in announcements to be along the lines of the
latter style below (since it aligns the issue keys better):

 * Some bug fixed [JEXL-1]
 * Some other bug with a much longer description fixed [JEXL-2]

vs.

 * [JEXL-1] Some bug fixed
 * [JEXL-2] Some other bug with a much longer description fixed

(c) IMO, its better for the subject to say "Apache Commons JEXL 2.0"

(d) An oddity ATM is that the main Commons site has a separate JEXL
download page [2] that is referenced from the 2.0 link on this page
[3].

-Rahul

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-48
[2] http://commons.apache.org/downloads/download_jexl.cgi