commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dimitri Pourbaix <pourb...@astro.ulb.ac.be>
Subject Re: [math] Work going on on SVD
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:55:08 GMT
Luc,

> I think we should wait for this issue to be solved before publishing
> 2.1. It is currently targeted at 2.2 but I would vote to solve it
> earlier. It is really a big drawback of the current implementation. Not
> being able to decompose identity is rather sad ...

I agree.

>> This would be a nice improvement and would probably be useful for other
>> linear algebra algorithms later on. The rationale for the current
>> implementation was to avoid copying data back and forth between a low
>> level elementary Householder class called n times and a high level
>> transformer like bi-diagonal or tri-diagonal transformer. If we can find
>> a way to have an elementary transform  processing in-place the array
>> provided to it by the  high level transformer, this would be fine.
>
> Perhaps this could wait for 2.2 or 3.0.

Yes.  It would be an improvement of the code from a developer perspec-
tive only.  No rush!

Regards,
  Dim.
Dimitri Pourbaix                         *
Institut d'Astronomie et d'Astrophysique *      Don't worry, be happy
CP 226, office 2.N4.211, building NO     *         and CARPE DIEM.
Universite Libre de Bruxelles            *
Boulevard du Triomphe                    *      Tel : +32-2-650.35.71
  B-1050 Bruxelles                        *      Fax : +32-2-650.42.26
http://sb9.astro.ulb.ac.be/~pourbaix     * mailto:pourbaix@astro.ulb.ac.be