commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <>
Subject Re: [compress] equalsIgnoreCase in Factories (was Re: New release soon?)
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:16:40 GMT
> Saw that.  While looking through the patch I realized we are using
> equalsIgnoreCase in the factories which is not such a good idea since
> this is locale dependent and the Turkish lowercase of "ZIP" is not
> "zip".

Wow, didn't know that!

I found the comment here quite interesting

Seems we can easily fix this with toLowerCase(Locale.US) in this case.
As a side note: For more serious comparisons it seems like a
"Collator" is the right thing to use

Never came across that class before :) Interesting!

>  I'll change that to locale insensitive comparisons - actually
> comparisons using the English locale soon.

Yeah, we should fix that before the next release as well.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message