commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Preparing for commons-parent pom release
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:39:39 GMT
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:29 AM,  <luc.maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:

> ----- "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> I'd like to do a release of the commons-parent pom - primarily to
>> upgrade to the latest commons-build-plugin 1.2 release.
>>
>> I have also upgraded the plugin versions and changed the "rc" &
>> "release" profiles to now only produce the javadocs and not the whole
>> site (this resolves a problem for multi-module components).
>>
>> Are there any other changes or feedback before calling a vote on
>> this?
>
> Do we consider the list of plugins defined in commons-parent fixed or could we extend
it ? For several components releases, I added myself checkstyle and findbugs checks and thought
it helped getting the component in better shape before release. If we decide to include it,
we should decide if we go with maven-checkstyle plugin 2.5, which uses checkstyle 5.0 or not.
The checkstyle rules configuration files need to be adapted and this requires Java 5.

Reporting plugins are problematic. If we define something like
checkstyle in the <reporting> section of commons-parent that forces
all components to have a checkstyle report and I believe there are
some components that don't want it. Unfortunately what gets defined in
the <reporting> section AIUI igores anything in <pluginMabagement> -
so theres no point in adding some config there for something like
checkstyle. I believe though that the <reporting> section is being
deprecated from Maven 3 (currently alpha release) and I think we're
supposed to move reports out of the <reporting> section and into the
build section - but I haven't followed up on how that works. If we do
eventually go that route then we might want to reconsider
<pluginManagement>. Another alternative perhaps would be to have a
separate profile with a standard set of reports - if we can find
common ground among enough components.

Niall