commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Preparing for commons-parent pom release
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 02:38:38 GMT
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:07 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/02/2010, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to do a release of the commons-parent pom - primarily to
>>  upgrade to the latest commons-build-plugin 1.2 release.
>>
>>  I have also upgraded the plugin versions and changed the "rc" &
>>  "release" profiles to now only produce the javadocs and not the whole
>>  site (this resolves a problem for multi-module components).
>>
>>  Are there any other changes or feedback before calling a vote on this?
>
> I think the default maven.compile.source|target entries should be
> removed from the POM.
>
> Seems to me that projects should have to define these, and not rely on
> the default.

I disagree with this because the whole point of the commons-parent
pom.xml is to reduce the amount of dulicate configuration in component
projects and I see no benefit in forcing components to define
unnecessary properties when the default suits them.

I also think this is a non-issue. We have a good history over the past
few years of making sure components are compatible with the JDK
version they target and I don't believe theres a single example of a
release that had these properties incorrectly set.

Also we did have this discussion before:

http://markmail.org/message/sc2d7efxscz6n3sz

Niall