commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <>
Subject Re: [lang] Preparing for a 2.5 release
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 20:40:59 GMT
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Henri Yandell <> wrote:
> My general thinking is:
> "+1, thanks for doing this"
> mixed with:
> "We now have two versions in development at the same time, we can no
> longer just charge along coding - we need process"
> Namely, do we put anything in 2.5 as long as it doesn't affect
> backwards compat, do we keep adding enhancements, do we only do
> bugfixes (or critical bugfixes)?

ATM its just backporting compatible trunk changes. So were not adding
things to the branch that aren't in the trunk. IMO what gets
backported should be down to those willing to do the work. Why would
you want to dictate what someone can or can't do?

> It starts to feel that we need to emulate Tomcat's methodology more of
> working in trunk then voting particular patches back into the legacy
> version.

I'm -1 to this. Tomcat's methodology arose out of the acrimony within
their PMC. That situation doesn't exist here so I don't see why we
would want to make this unnecessarily beaurocratic.