commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Preparing for a 2.5 release
Date Sun, 07 Feb 2010 03:07:07 GMT
On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My general thinking is:
>>
>> "+1, thanks for doing this"
>>
>> mixed with:
>>
>> "We now have two versions in development at the same time, we can no
>> longer just charge along coding - we need process"
>>
>> Namely, do we put anything in 2.5 as long as it doesn't affect
>> backwards compat, do we keep adding enhancements, do we only do
>> bugfixes (or critical bugfixes)?
>
> ATM its just backporting compatible trunk changes. So were not adding
> things to the branch that aren't in the trunk. IMO what gets
> backported should be down to those willing to do the work. Why would
> you want to dictate what someone can or can't do?

Trying to avoid two divergent products and the user confusion. It's
2.5 instead of 2.4.1, we're adding new features from 3.0 rather than
just focusing on bugfixes so now we have two Commons Langs.

Should I be making a JDK 1.3 version of Range.java?

Should we add 'JDK 6' features implemented for JDK 1.3?

Basically trying to make sure we don't end up with CLI1 and CLI2 :)

>> It starts to feel that we need to emulate Tomcat's methodology more of
>> working in trunk then voting particular patches back into the legacy
>> version.
>
> I'm -1 to this. Tomcat's methodology arose out of the acrimony within
> their PMC. That situation doesn't exist here so I don't see why we
> would want to make this unnecessarily beaurocratic.

Regardless of origin, I've liked watching it from a bugfix branch
point of view.

Hen