commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [lang] Divesting the commons.lang.math package
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:25:25 GMT
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Stephen Colebourne
<scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Divest? I object to removing Fraction from [lang], as its a very core
> concept tat is missing from the JDK. And thee are many users who would just
> want Fraction and none of the rest of the [math] library.

Having people to import Commons Math to just use Fraction is equal to
people having to import Commons Lang to use Fraction. If that's all
you want, you have to import something. Likewise, since I don't think
this class is "missing" from the JDK, I don't think it deserves to
stay in Commons Lang. It doesn't add to anything in the Java language
-- it is the foundation of a math library.

Paul