commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [lang] Divesting the commons.lang.math package
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:02:15 GMT
> -- it is the foundation of a math library.

I have to disagree on this point. An application can use Fractions instead of a doubles, if
you can deal with the API usage compared to operators. This what we (in a different century,
when I worked for a Smalltalk vendor) did in Smalltalk for ALL non-integers, we used fractions
and precision was never lost. Neat trick when supported at the language level.

In a similar vein, I've lost count as to how many times, I've re-invented Smalltalk's Association
class. Now that Java has Generics, I think I've finally settled on something reusable.

So I do not see Fraction as the foundation for anything really. It stands on its own nicely
IMO.

Gary