commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Continuum Java 5 build - please?
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:06:09 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 06/01/2010, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> sebb wrote:
>>  > On 05/01/2010, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >> On 05/01/2010, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >>  > sebb wrote:
>>  >>  >  > It would be very useful to have a Continuum DBCP build that
used Java 5.
>>  >>  >  >
>>  >>  >  > The current build uses Java 6 only, so does not test JDBC3
compatibility.
>>  >>  >  >
>>  >>  >  > I don't have Commons Admin on Continuum (and I'm not very familiar
>>  >>  >  > with it) so please could an Admin add it?
>>  >>  >  >
>>  >>  >  > Thanks!
>>  >>  >  >
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > I will look at this tonight.  It will have to be done using Ant and
>>  >>  >  maybe a little scripting, which I am not sure continuum will support.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> Thanks!
>>  >>
>>  >>  If it proves difficult to use Continuum with Ant, then I could set up
>>  >>  a Hudson build instead.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  >  The Ant build in trunk will filter sources in the /build directory
>>  >>  >  (not changing src/ itself) when it runs under <= 1.5, but it
>>  >>  >  requires build.properties to be set.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> IMO the Ant build should default to build.properties.sample if
>>  >>  build.properties does not exist, but I know others don't agree ... so
>>  >>  one possible solution might be to add a target that uses
>>  >>  build.properties.sample; or use a variable for the name
>>  >>  "build.properties".
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > The latter already exists:
>>  >
>>  > ant -Dcomponent-propfile=build.properties.sample ...
>>

>> Still working on this.  Will give it another try this eve.
>>
>>  I am also completing review of last set of changes to tests and
>>  sources. So far, so good.
>>
>>  Otherwise, are we ready for another RC?
>>

> There may possibly be a problem with assymetric equals() definitions;
> just looking into it now (there are no tests AFAICT).

Do you see a problem there, or did your review, tests (thanks!) and
doc fixes satisfy you that there is nothing amiss?

> Also, Javadoc could be improved ... I made a start, but there's rather
> a lot to do.

Yes, there is a lot left to be desired in the [dbcp] and [pool]
javadocs.  They have been improved, but there is still much left to
do.  Thanks for your help on this.

Unfortunately, I am now seeing this when building with Continuum
(Ant JDK 1.5):

[junit] Testcase: testMultipleThreads2 took 0.628 sec
    [junit] 	FAILED
    [junit] WARNING: Expected half the threads to fail
expected:&lt;10&gt; but was:&lt;7&gt;
    [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: WARNING: Expected
half the threads to fail expected:&lt;10&gt; but was:&lt;7&gt;
    [junit] 	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.TestConnectionPool.multipleThreads(TestConnectionPool.java:756)
    [junit] 	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.TestSharedPoolDataSource.testMultipleThreads2(TestSharedPoolDataSource.java:375)

This has happened twice consecutively on the two test builds that I
have run.  I am not finished setting up notification and I am going
to have to move it out from under the commons group, so I hesitate
to post a link here yet; but wanted to point out the failure.

JDK 1.5 builds in my local environment (OSX or Ubuntu) still
consistently succeed.

Phil