commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] Overlap; Collections thoughts
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:44:10 GMT
Paul Benedict wrote:
> Each if you split Collections into Maven children, you would still
> wouldn't want to release them independently. That would be a gigantic
> administrative error. Struts was thinking about doing the same thing
> with its libraries, but we turned away from it -- THANKFULLY. How
> would you explain to users what versions are compatible with each
> other? It becomes a nightmare to manage.

That is a very good point.  It would only be possible to separate
the release cycles if you could somehow guarantee that mixing and
matching subcomponent versions would *always* work, which is
probably impractical.

I think your later suggestion is a better way to go - keep doing
bundled releases, but do them more often.

Phil