commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject [configuration] Dependencies after switch to 1.4
Date Sat, 02 Jan 2010 20:22:20 GMT
In order to change the minimum required JDK to 1.4 I modified pom.xml. I
was hoping to get rid of all the XML-related dependencies, but obviously
this is not so easy.

When dropping the Xerces-dependency I get a bunch of test failures:
- Many of them are caused by tests for DatabaseConfiguration. Here
dbunit cannot resolve the DTD in the dataset file. This can be solved by
simply removing the reference to the DTD.
- The major problem is caused by tests that require advanced validation
features, e.g. schema validation. This is not supported by the parser
shipped with Java 1.4.

Because of the latter point I think we are forced to keep the
Xerces-dependency (with test scope). Unfortunately, this also demands
the dependency to XML-APIs - otherwise I get NoClassDefFound errors.

Or is there an alternative?

At least the dependency to Xalan can be dropped. I wonder whether this
has some impact on GUMP which has still trouble with building
[configuration].

Oliver