commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] Overlap; Collections thoughts
Date Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:30:00 GMT
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> Each if you split Collections into Maven children, you would still
> wouldn't want to release them independently. That would be a gigantic
> administrative error. Struts was thinking about doing the same thing
> with its libraries, but we turned away from it -- THANKFULLY. How
> would you explain to users what versions are compatible with each
> other? It becomes a nightmare to manage.

Both extreme options are nightmares imo. Holding everything up while
you to release everything in sync is painful too. Struts has the
advantage of a common entry point already.

I would be tempted to schedule major upgrade cycles, while having
minor ones run independently. Still tricky to do, and hurts
innovation. Then again - having a scheduled 'v4.0 of all Commons
components will now be available to be worked on' time might make
innovation happen more easily.

Hen