commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] Overlap; Collections thoughts
Date Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:30:31 GMT
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:

>> One final comment is that a logical alternative is to just split
>> [collections] internally into multiple pieces with separate release
>> cycles. Managing dependencies among the subcomponents and user
>> documentation might be tricky.  IIRC, that is what has prevented us
>> from actually ever doing this up to now.
>
> Yup. Effectively this is both a split into 'Collections JDK' and
> 'Collections Structures', and a merge of Collections JDK to Lang.

Thinking further...

One thing I don't like it is holding Lang 3.0 up. Or the big leap that
Collections JDK would go into Lang; that may not feel right once we
get there.

So perhaps the solution is to do the Collections split of JDK and
Structures/Algorithms in 4.0, and think about merging later:

Lang 3.0
Collections Core 4.0
Collection Data Structures/Algorithms 4.0

or some set of better names. With Core 4.0 possibly merging into Lang
3.1 etc if it felt right.

Hen