commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Continuum Java 5 build - please?
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:29:37 GMT
> sebb wrote:
>  > On 06/01/2010, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> sebb wrote:
>  >>  > On 05/01/2010, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >> On 05/01/2010, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >>  > sebb wrote:
>  >>  >>  >  > It would be very useful to have a Continuum DBCP build
that used Java 5.
>  >>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >>  >  > The current build uses Java 6 only, so does not test
JDBC3 compatibility.
>  >>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >>  >  > I don't have Commons Admin on Continuum (and I'm not
very familiar
>  >>  >>  >  > with it) so please could an Admin add it?
>  >>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >>  >  > Thanks!
>  >>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > I will look at this tonight.  It will have to be done using
Ant and
>  >>  >>  >  maybe a little scripting, which I am not sure continuum will
support.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> Thanks!
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  If it proves difficult to use Continuum with Ant, then I could set
up
>  >>  >>  a Hudson build instead.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  >  The Ant build in trunk will filter sources in the /build directory
>  >>  >>  >  (not changing src/ itself) when it runs under <= 1.5, but
it
>  >>  >>  >  requires build.properties to be set.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> IMO the Ant build should default to build.properties.sample if
>  >>  >>  build.properties does not exist, but I know others don't agree ...
so
>  >>  >>  one possible solution might be to add a target that uses
>  >>  >>  build.properties.sample; or use a variable for the name
>  >>  >>  "build.properties".
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  > The latter already exists:
>  >>  >
>  >>  > ant -Dcomponent-propfile=build.properties.sample ...
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Still working on this.  Will give it another try this eve.
>  >>
>  >>  I am also completing review of last set of changes to tests and
>  >>  sources. So far, so good.
>  >>
>  >>  Otherwise, are we ready for another RC?
>  >>
>  >
>  > There may possibly be a problem with assymetric equals() definitions;
>  > just looking into it now (there are no tests AFAICT).
>

> Do you see a problem there, or did your review, tests (thanks!) and
>  doc fixes satisfy you that there is nothing amiss?

I could not find any bugs with the equals() definitions; however as
per the second comment in DBCP-317 I think it would be useful to make
the equals() overriding more consistent. As far as I could tell from
my tests, the equals() overrides in DelegatingPreparedStatement and
DelegatingCallableStatement could be removed.

>  >
>  > Also, Javadoc could be improved ... I made a start, but there's rather
>  > a lot to do.
>

> Yes, there is a lot left to be desired in the [dbcp] and [pool]
>  javadocs.  They have been improved, but there is still much left to
>  do.  Thanks for your help on this.
>

>  Unfortunately, I am now seeing this when building with Continuum
>  (Ant JDK 1.5):
>
>  [junit] Testcase: testMultipleThreads2 took 0.628 sec
>     [junit]     FAILED
>     [junit] WARNING: Expected half the threads to fail
>  expected:&lt;10&gt; but was:&lt;7&gt;
>     [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: WARNING: Expected
>  half the threads to fail expected:&lt;10&gt; but was:&lt;7&gt;
>     [junit]     at
>  org.apache.commons.dbcp.TestConnectionPool.multipleThreads(TestConnectionPool.java:756)
>     [junit]     at
>  org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.TestSharedPoolDataSource.testMultipleThreads2(TestSharedPoolDataSource.java:375)
>

>  This has happened twice consecutively on the two test builds that I
>  have run.  I am not finished setting up notification and I am going
>  to have to move it out from under the commons group, so I hesitate
>  to post a link here yet; but wanted to point out the failure.

Yes, I saw the failures and have re-enabled some basic debug. That may
give a clue as to the bug.

>  JDK 1.5 builds in my local environment (OSX or Ubuntu) still
>  consistently succeed.

So far so do my tests on WinXP, but I'll leave them running all day
today if I can.