commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mat Booth <apa...@matbooth.co.uk>
Subject Re: [codec] regression in 1.4
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 18:53:11 GMT
2009/12/2 sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>:
> On 02/12/2009, Gary Gregory <GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
>> What about making the offending class configurable for 1.3 or 1.4 behavior?
>
> How? System property? That's not usually advisable for a library.
>
>>  The issue becomes which should be the default behavior...
>>
>>  Should the default behavior be the one closest to the B64 spec?
>
> As far as I can tell
>
> new Base64(0).encode()
> is the same as
> Base64.encodeBas64()
>
> If the parameterless ctor were changed to set the line length to 0,
> then users wishing to have the existing behaviour of that ctor would
> need to use new Base64(false).

Hi all,

I've only just found this thread. As I said on the ticket, I'd be
content if you can get the old behaviour with that method (which I now
know is possible by passing 0, thanks for that Sebb) and behavioural
changes such as this were documented in the release notes.

If these behavioural changes are documented some place, then I can
talk to the consumers of commons-codec in Fedora and make sure they
are doing the Right Thing and submit patches upstream where necessary.

Thanks,
Mat

--
Mat Booth