commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r893481 - in /commons/proper/dbcp/trunk: build.properties.sample build.xml pom-1.3.xml pom.xml src/test/org/apache/commons/dbcp/TestJOCLed.java
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:28:06 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
>> joehni@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: joehni
>>> Date: Wed Dec 23 11:44:41 2009
>>> New Revision: 893481

>>> Log:
>>> Drop XML artifacts used in test and explicit selection of SAX driver.
>> While the maven build in trunk works only for JDK 1.6, the Ant build
>> is supposed to work under 1.4-1.5.  The change below breaks this, so
>>  I am going to revert it.
>
> I changed it, because there's a build-1.3.xml and build-
> properties.sample-1.3. Then what's that for? IIRC correctly you said, that
> those are the ones used for the 1.3 branch ...

Sorry I have confused the issue here.  Where I made a mistake was
adding the build-properties.sample-1.3 instead of dealing with the
jta spec issue.  Here is the setup I am trying to maintain:

Ant build in trunk works for 1.4-1.6.  It accomplishes this by
filtering the sources (in the /build directory) when it detects JDK
< 1.6.

The 1.3 branch is just a pre-image of the 1.3 release tag and it
contains filtered sources.  The 1.3 Ant build does the filtering in
place - i.e., in the src directory.  This is really only needed as
part of release prep.  Success of the 1.3 build depends on the
filtering having been done in place.

The maven builds are platform-specific - i.e., the build in trunk
*requires* 1.6 and the pom-1.3.xml only works with the filtered
sources in the 1.3 release branch.

I tried to explain the setup in README.txt.  It is convenient to be
able to test 1.4-1.5 builds from trunk using Ant, so if possible I
would like to keep that working.  The only problem that I see is the
jta spec jar version, but per my last message that is a non-issue.
Sorry again for being unclear on the intention here.

Phil