commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] Overlap; Collections thoughts
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:19:34 GMT
Additional thought... the Collections Test library should move to
being a first class component in Commons rather than a side thought
inside Collections. So this is three new components from one:

* Test library
* Core JDK [Lang merge?]
* Collections impls

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Henri Yandell <> wrote:
> Overlap between Lang and Collections is starting to increase a bit.
> Requested items for ArrayUtils (LANG-238, LANG-470) are better
> implemented imo as an ArraySet class. An easy add to Collections.
> ComparableComparator made its way (privately) over for the new Range
> class. Fair enough - Comparable and Comparator also overlap between
> lang.* and util.*.
> I have a JIRA issue threat to consider moving Collections code over to
> Lang if Collections becomes dead [LANG-532]  :)
> ---
> One thought I have for Collections is splitting it up into two parts.
> The first would be items that add to collections in the JDK, the
> second would be additional collections. The former could conceivably
> merge with Lang, the latter could also be split up into an SPI style
> approach with an API jar and an Impl jar. The latter would most likely
> depend on the former.
> It would then be tempting to also merge Functors for example into the
> latter, plus I think we could get back on the bandwagon of adding new
> things, like the long standing Trie JIRA issue.
> Biased note: Part of this is that I'm interested in the JDK enhancing
> parts, but not all the implementations of weird and whacky
> collections; however I think this is likely not just me and that the
> separation would do wonders for the release cycle.
> Thoughts?
> Hen

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: