commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] 3.0 status
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:03:03 GMT
On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Updating status again.
>>
>>  * 103 resolved issues out of 161. From Sep 6 we resolved 38 issues and
>>  had 30 new ones.
>>  * 78 contributors involved in the resolved issues, 80 patches and 511 comments.

We just hit 66% resolved! And the face on the release portlet is
smiley again; I don't know how anyone develops without emoticons to
tell them when they need to code :)

>>  * I believe we now have 3 issues that would benefit from JDK 1.6. Sun
>>  have "end of life"d Java 1.5, though presumably there are other
>>  vendors who haven't. Personally I still lean towards becoming 1.6
>>  dependent.
>
> Which are these?
> Could LANG still be built to be 1.5 compatible, apart from the code
> that uses the 1.6 features?

One was the stripAccents method I just added. It's 1.6 dependent, but
uses reflection.

Another was removing code - in 1.6 we get to remove another chunk of code :)

I forget the other one.

> Seems to me that going from a minimum of Java 1.2 for 2.x to Java 1.6
> for lang 3.x is a huge leap.

Sun don't support it. Mac no longer ships with it. Equally, I do
accept that 1.6 doesn't have as much value as 1.5 does in terms of new
APIs for us to write code around.

>>  * Still lots to work on. Here's a short list of very approachable
>>  issues (be they simple or tricky):

Noting various issues pending Paul Benedict :)

Do you have any thoughts on LANG-556?

Also, you've reported 7 issues and have 2 assigned to you. Any plans on those?

Hen