commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <>
Subject Re: [JEXL] Best way to generate 2 jars ?
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:09:17 GMT
On 01/12/2009, henrib <> wrote:
>  In the context of Jexl-2, I'd like to generate 2 jars, one for jexl2 itself
>  and one as a "jexl1 compatibility" jar to facilitate trivial upgrade towards
>  2.0 and (hopefully) speed-up adoption.
>  I've created the jexl1 compatiblity lib as another maven project in
>  jexl/compat/ for the moment and the jexl-compat jar depends upon the jexl-2
>  jar. I've looked at bean-utils which directly uses ant for its jar tasks but
>  don't know enough to determine if this is the only/best way to multiple jars
>  generation.
>  What is the best way to achieve multiple jars generation in a commons
>  project ?
>  How do we declare "optional" jars ?

Optional for what?

>  Is there any recommended path ?

Not sure about recommended, but HttpComponents and BSF3 both have
multiple modules/jars.

In both cases, the top-level directory has a POM that invokes
lower-level modules.

These modules are at the same depth within SVN, not nested - I don't
know if it's possible to define nested modules in Maven.

Alternatively, maybe it is possible to tweak the Maven assembly
process to generate two jars from a single build.

Perhaps ask on the Maven user list?