commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [math] getting changes included into commons-math (was Re: Homefor the colt fork)
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 03:12:30 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Dunning" <ted.dunning@gmail.com>
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [math] getting changes included into commons-math (was Re:
Homefor the colt fork)

> MATH-312, 314, 316 and 317 were the first round.
>
> Some of the necessary changes included:
>
> - sparse iterators for sparse vectors
> - view semantics for sub-matrix and sub-vectors
> - additional sparse vector types for specialized applications
> - introduction of an unbounded sparse matrix/vector that simply remembers
> the highest bound set
> - introduction of abstract classes to allow off the cuff inner
> implementations of virtual vectors
> - introduction of additional decomposition classes
> - introduction of row and column label abstraction for matrices and
> vectors
> - higher performance implementations
>
> The 5 issues that Jake filed were mostly address the first point.  That
> stalled out when he hit resistance to change.
>
> Since then we have adopted Colt as our matrix/linear algebra/collections
> implementation and we don't really need any changes to MATH.

Except for MATH-314 (which doesn't have a patch), these JIRA issues are
largely implemented in [math] now.  It will probably have to be improved
before a 2.1 release, but works well enough for now.

I'm sorry that you feel that [math] doesn't meet your needs.  However, I'm
grateful to Jake for his contributions that have made [math] a better
project.