commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:24:54 GMT
Hi Paul,

Paul Benedict wrote:

> Personally, I would not drop commons from the artiactId since it's a
> well-known prefix. Anyone who sees "commons" can reasonably guess it's
> from Apache Commons. Also let's not forget that in a file system,
> namespacing is still important. All file names still have to be unique
> in WEB-INF/lib :-)
> My first choice is this:
> org.apache.commons:commons-dbcp:1.4
> org.apache.commons:commons-dbcp:1.3

This is bead, since version 1.3 is not compatible to version 1.4 in this
case. Additionally you need then a relocation for 1.3.

> My second choice is this
> org.apache.commons:commons-dbcp:1.4
> commons-dbcp:commons-dbcp:1.3

This looks much better.
> PS: Since you have a 2.0 planned, perhaps you only want to change the
> groupId once you increment the major version?

Since the two versions will be incompatible, it is much better to change
groupId for the JDBC4 version now.

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: