commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:22:36 GMT
Hi Grzegorz,

Grzegorz Słowikowski wrote at Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 10:59:

[snip]

> Hi
>
> I want to add something from myself, I think I'm experienced Maven user.
>
> 1. As Paul said, when you have two different sources you should not try
> to use classifiers
> (I think technically it could be possible, but it is wrong way). There
> are projects generating
> two artifacts: base one and  jdk 1.4 compatible one. As i know, the
> second one is generated from
> the same classes as the first one using retrotranslator or retroweaver
> plugin in the build process.
> Subethasmtp is a good example:
> http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/subethamail/subethasmtp-
smtp/1.2/subethasmtp-smtp-1.2.pom

> 2. I agree with Jorg that the JDBC3 version should be the natural
> continuation of previous
> versions, so commons-dbcp:commons-dbcp:1.3 would be for JDBC3, not JDBC4.
> I know that Tomcat developers are waiting for new version of
> commons-dbcp because of some leaks
> in current commons-pool version (if I remember). Tomcat6 has Java5 as a
> minimum. I thing, they
> will not use jdbc4 version of commons-dbcp. If jdbc3 compatible version
> will have different name
> ("-jdbc3" suffix) you will have to answer millions of questions about it.
>
> 3. The build process described here by Paul should work, but I don't
> like the Maven+Ant hybrid.
> Tomcat developers (again) will have problems, because they are
> generating their "tomcat-dbcp.jar"
> from commons-pool and commons-dbcp sources. They download these two
> sources bundle,
> change package names and merge them into one archive. If commons-dbcp
> sources will be
> jdbc4 compatible, they will have to repeat your 1. step above.
> I wonder if it is possible to split commons-dbcp code base into two
> modules and build them
> entirely in Maven.

You will always have an Ant task to perform the source generation of the
"conditional" compilation. The trunk builds only with JDBC4, the Ant task
has to run before building against JDBC3.

> I made some simple tests. I could upload it somewhere
> for you.

You might use the -source artifact as dependency in the second module and
unpack it with the dependency plugin and use then the Ant task to prepare
the sources.

- Jörg