commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:13:12 GMT
Hi Paul,

Paul Benedict wrote at Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 05:03:

> When I was patching Hibernate, they needed different sources because
> of JDBC3/4 incompatibility. It just wasn't possible to compile for
> both dependencies.
>
> I just checked with Brett Porter of Maven. He says that if the sources
> are identical, you can use qualifiers; otherwise it would conflict
> when you generate sources/javadocs/tests. You couldn't publish
> different sources/etc. once the qualifier is used -- makes sense you
> can't append more than one qualifier.
>
> Based on this advice, I revert to my previous advice and say they
> should be separate artifactIds with no qualifiers.

OK, but then we should really think about "drop-in replacement" or not.
Basically we say that dbcp 1.3 with JDBC4 will not be backward compatible.
Then why don't we use the new artifactId for this and allow 1.3 with JDBC3
to be a real drop-in replacement? If somebody works with ranges, he might
get the newer dbcp anyway and wondering about the incompatibility later.

Therefore we might better do:

org.apache.commons:commons-dbcp4:1.3
commons-dbcp:commons-dbcp:1.3

- Jörg