commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JEXL 2.0] o.a.c.jexl or o.a.c.jexl2 ?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:58:06 GMT
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:37 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/11/2009, henrib <henrib@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>  One last thing, just to be safe; if I was to perform the serie of 'svn
>>  mv...' on the java files in the trunk, anything that currently depends upon
>>  JEXL's trunk would stop compiling.
>
> Why? So long as the result of the commits was still consistent, I
> don't see what the problem is.

<snip/>

Effectively, the package names for all classes will change (JEXL trunk
itself will continue to build, those depending on trunk will not until
matching changes are made).

>>  This would imply the gump/nightly commons builds that happily cope with the
>>  current JEXL trunk will fail forever (probably 47 projects...).
>
> Forever? Why?

<snap/>

More like until matching changes are made (or folks opt out and choose
to depend on the 1.x branch).

>>  How can I prevent this from happening?
>
> I'm not sure that it will happen.
>
> But even if it does, it's not a disaster - Gump/nightly builds will
> fail from time to time; that's what they are there for.

<snip/>

Indeed, its not a disaster. Either those depending on JEXL trunk will
make package name changes etc. or they will grow to like (or ignore)
the nags.

>>  What's the procedure for this kind of "renaming project package" cases ?
>
> Make sure that the commits are self-contained as far as possible.
>
>>  Should I create a "jexl2/" directory in svn ?
>
> Won't that confuse the history somewhat?

<snap/>

Don't think we should create a new directory.

-Rahul