commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] [JEXL 2.0] o.a.c.jexl or o.a.c.jexl2 ?
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:55:57 GMT
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM, henrib <henrib@apache.org> wrote:

> Any other opinion ?
> Sebb, Rahul, what's your take ?
<snip/>

I agree with your comments about compatibility for casual users. In
effect, some Commons components (those we've sometimes characterized
as ones with narrow deep APIs, such as JEXL) almost have a two-part
public API -- one that suffices ~80% of use cases and another that
only a minority will employ for more sophisticated usages.

Given the divergence is in the so-called more sophisticated usage APIs
between the 1.x and the 2.x lines, I think there are much fewer
occasions to encounter jar hell but the possibility exists. There is a
reasonable number of said changes between the two lines which also
adds up when forming an opinion.

Therefore, assuming other aspects of the release are good, my
inclination is to say I'd be +1 for a release as oac.jexl2 and +0 for
a release as oac.jexl (i.e. neither voting for nor against, which
won't help the vote outcome much :-).

-Rahul