commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Worden <brent.wor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] 1.3 release packaging - take two
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:56:01 GMT
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I don't think you should be modifying the version (and groups, really)
> here. All the artifacts belong to version 1.3.
>
> Maven does have a concept of a qualifier, but according to Sonatype,
> it's only to capture milestone builds:
> http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/reference/pom-relationships-sect-pom-syntax.html
>
> What you have, simply, is, different artifacts. Keep the same groupId
> and version, just alter the artifact names.
>
> JDBC 4 version (JDK 1.6)
> groupId = org.apache.commons
> artifactId = commons-dbcp
> version = 1.3
>
> JDBC 3 version (JDK 1.4-1.5)
> groupId = org.apache.commons
> artifactId = commons-dbcp-jdbc3
> version = 1.3
>
> Paul

I do not agree with the artifact/version statements.  In my mind,
different artifactId's imply the jars are companion or supplementary
artifacts.  The JDBC 3 and 4 version of commons-dbcp are drop in
replacements of each other.  To me, this implies different artifact
versions.

I do agree, that the groupId should be constant.

Also, if the multiple version approach is taken, I would explicitly
call out the JDBC version in all artifacts in order to be consistent
and eliminate user ambiguity.

Brent